The Westside Waves Swim Club has 7th and 8th grade girls and boys swim teams that compete with other middle school teams across the area. Our 7th & 8th grade teams have done very well over the years and are a great way to introduce swimmers to the dual meet format. We will have approximately 7 to 10 meets total, all at other pools. All 7th and 8th-grade swimmers must attend at least 3 practices per week.
Remember to check the calendar on the Waves homepage for updated practice schedules.
Please contact us for more information or stop by a practice.
2017-2018 7th & 8th Grade Swim Meet Schedule
Requirements to Participate in Waves 7th & 8th Grade swim team
- Swimmers must have completed level 5 or 6 swim lessons, have some swim team experience, or just demonstrate some reasonable skills. In other words, you do not have to be an expert swimmer but you do have to know how to swim, and willing to work hard to get better.
- All swimmers on the Waves must be members of the Westlake Rec. Center or join for the swim season. Please contact Coach John Bailey for more info.
- The online registration must be completed and all fees must be turned in prior to the first practice.
- All middle school swimmers must attend at least three full practices each week and attend every swim meet, if possible. You must ride to the meets with the team, with your assigned ride.
- The Waves communicate everything by email to keep everyone informed and updated on practice and meet information. If you do not have email it is important to get this information from someone on an almost daily basis.
- Come prepared to practice to work hard and get better.
This is a great way for students to stay in shape and have fun competing with their classmates. Swimming is an exciting and enjoyable sport that takes on a whole new dimension as a team competition. Training in the pool is an excellent way to cross training for other sports, especially running. It’s also an excellent way for swimmers to prepare to swim for their high school team.
Note for 7th & 8th Grade Team Parents
For each away meet, we call on several parents to help drive students to the meet. We typically try to plan it out and rotate between drop-off/pick-up between each meet, so no one parent is driving each time. If there are parents (especially those with minivans or SUVs!) who can assist us, your swimmers very much appreciate it!
We leave Burneson Middle School as soon as possible after school (3:35 PM), arrive at the competition pool, and after a short warm-up, start the meets by 4:45 to 5:00 PM. The meets take a little more than an hour and we are usually back at the Recreation Center by 6:30-7:00 PM.
Event List for 7th & 8th Grade Meets (11 events -girls and boys for a total of 22 events.)
- 200 Medley Relay
- 200 Freestyle
- 100 Individual Medley
- 50 Freestyle
- 50 Butterfly
- 100 Freestyle
- 400 or 500 Freestyle
- 200 Freestyle Relay
- 50 Back
- 50 Breast
- 400 Freestyle Relay
For more information, please email Onat Tungac (email@example.com) or call (440) 808-5700